The Institute was founded in 1924 and located at the Berlin Palace. In 1949, it was established anew as the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg by the Max Planck Society. It focuses on basic research in public international law, European Union law and comparative constitutional and administrative law. The Institute's research examines legal issues from the perspective of legal doctrine and theory, systematizes and compares, and contributes to the development of law and to addressing current problems. In addition, the Institute hosts many visiting scholars from around the world who pursue their own research. The Institute also advises national, European and international institutions.